Frequently Asked Questions
- What kinds of assets can I leave?
There are several ways to make a charitable bequest. You may leave:
- A percentage of your estate or assets.
- A specific cash amount.
- Real estate.
- Financial investments, such as stocks, bonds, or certificates of deposit (CDs).
- Something you own, such as art, jewelry, or copyrights.
You can also set up an endowed charitable fund by making The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or retirement plan.
- Is there a minimum amount I have to leave?
No. Bequests of any amount are welcome gifts to the community. With a bequest of $10,000 or more, you can set up a named endowed fund at The Community Foundation. Bequests under $10,000 can be added to existing funds.
Is it easy to put a charitable gift in my will? Yes. All it takes is a quick update. See our sample bequest language.
- What if I don’t have a will yet?
There are several reasons to put this on your to-do list. If you’d like a referral to an estate-planning attorney in your community, we can help. We’ve worked with many attorneys over the years. Call us at 203-777-2386.
- Can I make a bequest of any amount to any existing fund?
Yes! Bequests of any amount may be added to an existing fund or to our General Fund. Bequests of $10,000 or greater may be used to create a personally named fund.
- Can a single fund support multiple charitable objectives?
Yes. You can establish a fund that supports a specific nonprofit and that distributes grants to address broader issues that matter to you, such as hunger or job creation.
- What if I want to do something specific in my town?
You can include language in your will like, “I intend this gift to feed hungry children in my hometown.” We will make sure your wishes are followed. It’s what we’ve been doing since 1928.
- How do I know which nonprofit I should give to?
You can ask us for recommendations. The Community Foundation is intimately familiar with the nonprofits working in Greater New Haven. We partner with organizations that get great results, demonstrate good management, and have exciting plans.
- Not sure what works best for you?
Our professional staff is here to help carry out your charitable intentions. For more information visit our website or, even better, call us at 203-777-2386.
© Pentera, Inc. Planned giving content. All rights reserved.